A little history
In 1924, the corner of Crutcher and Delmar streets were at the extreme southeastern edge of Springfield and still pretty much country. Two Christian ladies who lived in the area decided that it would be good to have a church nearby. They began a fund drive to raise enough money to erect a building. They concentrated on doctors and lawyers because those professions would have more available to contribute. When the building was finished, church services began. There was not a specific denomination affiliation but just a group of people who wanted the Gospel preached. They started without a full time pastor but invited various men to share God’s Word. These men came from various walks of life including a high school teacher and a Methodist minister.
Sometime in 1938, an Irish preacher, Tom McCullagh came to the area with his family. He had just returned from missionary work in Arkansas. He rented a house on Crutcher street and became acquainted with the folks at the little church on the corner. Early ministry included a baptism service for new converts at a rented city swimming pool. During the next year, Mr. McCullagh started tent meetings to preach the Gospel and called his fiend, Mr. John Elliot, also from Ireland, to join and help him in ministry. Several people from the little church on the corner assisted in the tent ministry through handing out tracts, singing, and setting up the tents.
Mr. McCullagh and Mr. Elliott started Bible studies with the folks at the church and soon the group became an assembly of believers, desiring to meet according to New Testament principles. And so in 1940, the Southeast Gospel Hall was born. There was a short period when the group moved to a store front in downtown Springfield for services and sold the building on Crutcher to another group. However, that group later put the building back up for sale and the Southeast believers purchased the building back and returned to their roots.
In the intervening years, the building has been remodeled and the name has changed to Southeast Bible Chapel (1995) but the testimony and Biblical teaching have continued. The assembly of believers from the little church on the corner are still preaching the Gospel and teaching the Word of God.
We believe the Bible to be divinely inspired, inerrant Word of God, revealing the ruin of man by sin and his redemption through the shed blood of the lord jesus Christ (2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21, Romans 3:23, Romand 6:23, Ephesians 1:7).
We believe in the one tru God, Creator of all, who eternally exists in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:26, Genesis 3:22, Deuteronomy 6:4, John 10:30, Acts 5:3-4, 2 Corinthians 13:14).
We believe in the absolute deity of the Lord Jesus Christ – true God and true man. He is the only begotten and eternal Son of God, miraculously born of a virgin, Mary. his life was absolutely perfect and sinless (john 1:14-18, John 20:28, Colossians 2:9, 1 Timothy 2:5, Matthew 1:18-25, 1 Peter 2:21-22).
Jesus commanded His disciples to go into all the world, preaching the Gospel and making disciples (Mark 16:15, matthew 28:19-30). It is our aim to teach the message of salvation by grace through faith alone as the only hope for forgiveness of sins and peace with God. We do this through personal evangelism, home Bible studies, and foreign missions.
At Southeast Bible Chapel, we are devoted to teaching, fellowship, the Lord’s Supper, and prayer (Acts 2:42).
We are an autonomous local church gathering unto the name of the Lord Jesus Christ alone. We do not seek a name for ourselves or take a denominational title. His is the only name by which we wish to be known (Matthew 18:20, Acts 11:26, 1 Corinthians 6:11, Colossians 3:17).
Feel free to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by phone
Walt Cary 417.861.3754
Ross Ragland 417.883.5990
Shannon Bollinger 417.894.1028
Justin Hill 417.234.0950